Loading...

Monday, October 12, 2009

Readers Respond: VFC's Charities, The Gift of Giving

A comment from Carson:

Your belief is that GNBT will be a 10-bagger in 2011. What stocks do you believe will be 10-baggers for 2010? Are there any stocks in this list that you would buy first to then roll to others?
As a side note, are there any charities you support that readers can make contributions to as an indirect way of thanking you? You help us, we can therefore help others from our stock earnings...just a thought; one hand washes the other.

Carson Wade


VFC's Take: I'll get back to you on my picks for 2010 - that subject has been on my mind for some time, but there is so much news due in quarter four of this year that I haven't been looking as far forward as I'd like.

As for your side note, you provide evidence that amidst the economic turmoil and global tragedy - there is still humanity left in this world. I think it is a noble idea to share stock winnings with charities, especially with charities that we know are making a difference.

It's easy to get wrapped up in the material side of life, but it is also important to always keep in mind that many out there - all over the world - are not as lucky as we are. Just in the past couple of years I've had a friend lose his brother and father to head cancer and a workmate lost his son to the same. We've all got our stories of tragedy, and we should all remember them to keep us grounded.

Cancer Care: Since cancer is such a big part of life and tragedy, I always take the chance to donate a few bucks towards 'The Cause'. For cancer research donations, I donate every time someone I know is participating in a 'run for the cure' type thing. I'm usually pretty good at posting those events on my VFC's House blog, but I will also post those here from here on out.

Cancer Care is more geared towards helping those that have cancer, to include the families and friends of the patient. They offer counseling and support groups to patients and/or family members and even have a co-pay plan to try and get each and every patient the best treatment available.

To help those with cancer, Cancer Care is my charity of choice.

Children International: I've sponsored children all around through this organization for the better part of twenty years and I've been completely satisfied that CI is improving the lives of children in poverty-stricken areas around the world.

I enjoy the letters and pictures that I receive from the children and it's humbling to know that twenty two dollars a month from me can make such a difference in a child's life.

Make a Wish Foundation: This is probably one of the most famous charities out there and there's nothing like knowing that a little bit of your money is going to make a sick child's day brighter.

Children are the truly innocent ones in this world and if Make a Wish can turn a sick child's wish into reality, then they're worth getting a few bucks from me.

Again, thanks for the interest in charities. Even when things are rough and times are tough, it is very, very important to remember that there is always somebody out there that is a lot worse off than you are.

Also, the greatest gift that you can give is sharing your experiences and knowledge with others. We all have something to learn from each other, but you can't learn anything if your mind is closed. In fact, it's the ones that think that they have it all figured out - and the ones that let ego dominate their livelyhood - that tend to screw it up for everybody else.

Don't mistake this as VFC preaching, I'm just sayin'...........

Disclosure: VFC loves charities.

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more VFC. I think sharing our favorite charities in an investment forum is a great idea. I offer these links to the FDNY Burn Center in memory of my cousin who was murdered on 9/11, Michael Kiefer FDNY Ladder 132 Brooklyn NY http://www.nyffburncenter.com/about/Kiefer%20Fund/Kiefer%20Shirt%20Order%20Form.aspx http://www.nyffburncenter.com/events/Back%20In%20The%20Day%20Michael%20Kiefer%20Fund%20Raiser.aspx

    Mark Heaney

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've decided to try and keep this story on top because I think that giving back is a hugely valuable sentiment.

    To sacrafice a little of one's own to make someone else's life better is truly and act of goodness that is often overlooked in today's "ME ME ME" society.

    Mark was the first to post his charity in honor of his cousin who was lost to 9/11, and I encourage other readers to do the same.

    Contrary to popular belief, one person CAN make a difference, so imagine what just a little bit from all of us could do.

    I've posted a link to the post in the "VFC's Charities" link at the top of the page. Hopefully readers will post their favorite charities as a comment response to this page and a little reason why they like that charity.

    Thanks to all involved.

    VFC

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a proud Shriner and I hope your readers will take a look at joining and supporting this wonderful organization that provides absolutely FREE medical care for children who suffer from burns and other injuries and diseases until age 18. You can find out more at www.shrinershq.org.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time to revisit this again.

    Carson Wade

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email